30 September 2013
The Income Tax (Deduction for Qualifying Training Expenditure) (Prescribed Classes of Individuals) Rules 2013 has been published following the Budget 2012 announcement to extend enhanced training support to self-employed persons.
The Rules contain the schedule that sets out the classes of individuals prescribed for the purposes of the definition of “employee” in section 14R(6) of the Income Tax Act, and shall have effect for the year of assessment 2012 and subsequent years of assessment. The classes of individuals are:
- Salespersons registered under the Estate Agents Act.
- Representatives within the meaning of the Financial Advisers Act who satisfy the requirements of section 23B(1)(a) or (b) of that Act, or who are exempted under that Act from those requirements.
- Representatives within the meaning of the Securities and Futures Act who satisfy the requirements of section 99B(1)(a), (b), (c) or (d) of that Act, or who are exempted under that Act from those requirements.
- Insurance agents of insurers licensed under the Insurance Act who satisfy the requirements of section 35M of that Act.
- Hirers of taxis from taxi service operators licensed under the Road Traffic Act.
The Rules were made on 12 September 2013 and first published in the Government Gazette, Electronic Edition, on 18 September 2013.
Source: Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore and Government Gazette